Monday, April 16, 2007

its a beautiful day

hey all.

So yes, I'm back. Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts this week. They were appreciated.

We got home saturday around 6:30 but I haven't really wanted to talk to anybody yet. Been thinking about a lot and just needing a bit more of a break.

Its been a weird day. I went to bed around 9:30 last night from being so tired and woke at 6:30...45 min before my alarm went off. i love sleep. And barely ever get up before I have too. But I was having a freaky dream and woke up trying to get my mind off of it and ended up thinking about the next few months and how to get back to New Orleans, my new love. I haven't been able to quit thinking about it since we left. Actually, I think it was the 2nd day we were there, I decided that I was definitly going back. Well at the moment I wanted to live there. But we'll just pretend for now like its a short term thing.

This trip was amazing. I met a lot of great people who I now feel like I've known for years. There were 9 of us and I didnt know any of them.... and now I'm so glad that I really didnt know any body going. It was really good for me.

So New Orleans....
parts of it were sad because 20 months after hurricane Katrina, some parts of the devastated city haven't been touched yet.

And not very many people, especially up here, know about that because it doesn't make the news or anything anymore. So everyone just assumes that its back to normal, which is so far from the truth. Its just a mess. And the whole fema money thing is a joke. Nobody can afford to rebuild. Especially when they have to pay people to come gut their house first so that they can either start over from there or have it demolished. And many of the people that will do that cost $1 a sq. foot to gut a house.

The amazing thing is that there are organizations that take in volunteers to gut houses free of charge. So that's what our group did. IT was very hard work, but I loved every minute of it.


The first house we went to had not been touched in 2 years. So all of this lady's things were still there, such as furniture, clothes, all personal belongings. You don't realize how much "stuff" a person, or family, has until you have to drag it all out. There were roaches all over, and in some cases rats (we only saw a dead one), and black mold all the way up the walls.


But through all that the city is continuing to go through, I see so much hope there in people. We worked on an apartment duplex toward the end of the week and the homeowner came to see us working a couple of days and I just fell in love with her because of the joy you could see in her. And she was so incredibly appreciative of us being there. And that made it all so worth it.

So I've been thinking about a lot sense coming home. Getting back hasnt been too great, though. I miss it all so much. I definitly want to go back and I'm even thinking this summer would be great. I'm not sure if I'd go for a week or two, or even like 2 months. BUt I know i want to go. Its just hard planning with school and stuff. I start school at the christ hospital school of nursing in August, but I think i have some deadlines to deal with and getting things done and turned in during the summer... so that sort of makes me nervous about leaving. And also I started classes
back at cincy state where I am just taking anatomy 2 which should transfer. But yesterday I started thinking about not going to school this term. This term lasts the next 9 weeks. That takes us to June 18, I think. Which is kinda a chunk of the summer. Not taking it now would just mean that I would have to take it in AUgust (it is not a pre-req for the christ school). And it would be free then bc school is getting paid for if I agree to work with the hospital 3 years following graduation. Taking it at cincy state is $400. It would be nice to get it out of the way but there just seem to be so many more pros to waiting. And if I decided not to take it now, I could work for the next few months and save up money for if I do decide to go back to New Orleans for the summer. AAhhh.. so much still to think about. And I need to decide this week so I can get money back if I decide to drop my class. I'm still trying to work all this out in my head.

Anybody have any thoughts/insight/advice?

Its really gonna kill me though to be away from baby O if I end up going for the summer.

I was sitting in class today writing notes but my brain was on "auto-pilot". I have no idea what she really talked about today because all i was thinking about was all this.

I'm praying that God will give me some answers, at least about school, this week.

I uploaded the rest of my pics and you can view them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabeth/
I took almost 200 but I wish I would have taken more. I didn't even get a group shot! BUt I know someone else did so I'll just steal it when they share.


I love you all.
I think its a new day for me. And it is beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, is that all?!?

I'm gonna stand by what I said earlier; chase your dreams now, it's not going to be any easier down the road.

GO BACK if that's what you want to do. It might be even more amazing for a couple months. It could wind up being a bummer, but either way you can say you did it. You took the time, and made a difference.

Whatever you do, make up your mind before you get comfortable... comfort can be mighty persuasive.

Anonymous said...

amen adam.

so sarah, i thought of you the entire week you were gone and wondered when you were going to blog about it. i am so glad it was so soon.

and you know me, i have been telling you for years what i think your life calling is - cause i've seen it bring you SO ALIVE over and over and over again= missions, anywhere, doing anything. i am so glad you went this one alone.
go back. definitely. i will pay you to. school can wait...and that is coming from me, the mega nerd!

love you sis!

Robby said...

Sarah,
I don't think that I have ever heard you sound more alive! It would appear that for the first time in a long time you've seen the kingdom of God at its best, which ironically, to the rest of the world would appear to be its worst. lol! Sorry if thats confusing.
I am so happy for you. Its so obvious that you have a passion for people and missions! At the risk of sounding like a broken record following Adam and Carol's cries, FOLLOW THAT FEELING!!!
Don't worry about tomorrow, it will take care of itself. School is fine and dandy, but maybe God has bigger plans for your life this summer than you ever imagined. You trusted Him and He got you in to Christ, You trusted Him and he brought you to his people in New Orleans. Trust Him, another time and go back. Don't worry about life here. God wants to use you now! (and correct me if I'm wrong but I think you know this already but logic is stopping you)
I was reading THIS BEAUTIFUL MESS (whos title seems to ironically fit your situation) Rick McKinley writes, "We felt like the disciples must have felt when Jesus sent them out. A lot of times they didn't know where they were going, or why, or what they should do when they got there. They just went, and as it turned out, going was what mattered most."
When we trust in God we find ourselves in places we never dreamed we would be. Are we simply cleaning an empty, rotting house or are we ushering the kingdom of God through restoring life? Are we having coffee with someone in Australia or our we showing God's love to someone who has never felt the love of God before? The possibilities are endless.
Don't worry about school, God is big enough to handle that. I'm proud of you. 1)that you went alone and 2)that you now want to keep going back! Thats awesome! I'll be praying for you.
(Sorry this is so long, it kinda just poured out as I reflect on my upcoming trip)

... said...

Hi Sarah!

Funny. I was just on the couch watching Spike Lee's documentary about New Orleans and the flood. My husband rented it for me since I haven't been able to stop thinking or talking about our trip since we've been back. More thinking than talking - but he's good for picking up on stuff like that.

Jimmy eventually fell asleep while I was glued to the screen and finally went up to bed. Now I can't sleep. So I checked my email and was so glad to see your blog.

Now I get to stalk both you and Dyah!

Can I just echo the comments from the three people above me? I wish I would have followed more of my heart when I was your age, and less expectations. I raced out of high school into four years of college and settled for that safe job immediately upon graduation. It was like a finish line that I just had to get to. Then I was pretty stuck there for a while - instant bills, instant marriage, instant debt. Blah, blah, blah.

But this isn't about me. I just wanted to encourage you to follow your heart!

Plus, I'm ready to go back too - and would love to be down there with you again!

xoxoxo