Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sickness part 2: correct diagnosis

Update on what is actually happening with me. I left off from the previous entry on thursday, finishing up antibiotics. Well satrday was my last dose... sunday felt better... sunday night tossing and turning with stomach ache... monday severe cramps in lower abdomen. Called doctor- she said that we will plan on the colonoscopy for wednesday. Tuesday was terrible bc I had the cramps and had to be on just liquids for the day (had to drink two 62 oz gatorades with laxatives in them plus at least eight 8oz glasses of water or other fluids duirng the day). As you can imagine it was a very clear, liquid poopy day(I'm over modestY) . BUt painful throughout. Wed I headed for the colonoscopy.. "Oh that didnt hurt at all... I dont remember a thing.." is what everyone and their moms who have had a colonoscopy had told me. Well... they apparently didnt have what I had which was already severe pain in my abdomen. I was sedated and filled with pain meds but I vividly remember the pain of the dr pressing hard on my abdomen while manuvering the tube around my colon- ive never had such pain in my life.. and I remember her saying "Sarah, you need to relax..". Yeah.. try to relax with excruciating pain. The problem was part of my bowel was twisted and she was pushing on my stomach to try to get the tube moving aroud it or something. I thought I was giong to die. When I woke up in the sedation room I kinda remember the doc explaining to my mom and travis (who had unexpectedly rushed over from work) that it was serious. She said they saw pus around my appendix and we werent exactly sure what that meant. She wanted to keep me slightly sedated and sent me over to Christ ER expecting me to have major surgery. When I got there they wanted to do another catscan meaning I had to drink more contrast- this time keeping it down. Had the catscan... waited FOREVER as one would usually do in a hospital. Then a resident dr came in and sat down and said "sarah has a ruptured appendix." This was a shock and I think all our mouths dropped bc we were still thinking colitis of some sort and hoping for the best. He wasnt really sure about a plan but said I woul dbe stayin in hospital overnight and possibly havingn surgery in the AM, or a drain tube put in to drain the infection (there were several scenerios presented). this meaninng I couldnt eat or drink anything until they decided. I mean seriously? I had a decreased apetite for the last 2 weeks and now not allowed to eat or drink anything? Suddenly ice water became my craving. That night was terrible... having 103 fevers and covering myself in ice packs.. not allowed to have any water except a few sips with tylenol. I did not sleep a minute that night. The next morning came and they decided to do the drain tube. No surgeries yet bc everything so swollen in my abdomen could puncure something or cause more infection. I was Mildly sedated for procedure but could still feel the needle and tube through the upper part of my right butt muscle into my abdomen to drain infection. Too risky to put it through abdomen for risk of puncturing something. I was on bed rest for 4 hrs afterwards. Then I had to pee. Called in PCA and my mom to help me to the bathroom bc i was in pain. I got up feeling dizzy, put my hands on the bed and woke up on the floor. The pca and my mom had caught me and lowered me to the floor. They tried to get me back up and i went down again. Decided to get back in bed and from then on until this morning I had to use a bedpan- not a fun time. as of now fevers have gone down but havent been able to keep food down well until dinner but didnt eat much. So prayers are much apprecaited still!! I am able to get up to the bathroom now and yestereday I did take a shower. Plan now is to continue antibiotics, watch the drain, continue to attempt eating. May go home in a few days with or without the drain (no exact date set yet). Will be off work for another 2-3 weeks as least. Plan for surgery maybe in 8 weeks once all swelling is cleared to take out remainder of appendix. Hopefully it all goes as planned and I dont step anymore backword. Love you all, i understand this is long but easier than telling each person separatly. Not wanting a lot of visitors because I havent slept good and hope to catch up on sleep during the day when I can. When I go home though I welcome visitors because it will be a lot of days home alone probably so I will let you all know when that is if anyone wants to visit.

Again... all prayers still welcome and so very much appreciated!

4 comments:

alycepaige said...

i hope they can have surgery and get that thing out of you. much love!

Dyah said...

O, my goodness! I hope it will be over soon for you!

Anonymous said...

WOW, woman! Glad you're starting to find *some* relief. We've been praying for you and thinking about you lots! Hope you continue to feel better, can get some rest and get rid of the nasty infection!!! *hugs* from us. Love, Tim and Bethany M

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you are up for visitor's and I will make it my mission to fatten you up if you want! hehe :) love you so much, hoping recovery is speedy and easy!