Tuesday, March 14, 2006

maybe I'll just quit and go work at a bar

So today when I came into work my mom was talking to this lady that happened to walk in and ask if they were hiring. We aren't really..unless one of us quits... but thats besides the point. So me and mom were driving to lunch and she was telling me about this lady and how qualified she was. The only thing she didn't like about her was that the lady said if they couldnt give her enough hours it was okay bc she'd probably just go work at a bar or something part time too. So my mom was like "That already gives her a stereotype of the kind of person she is". So I sat there thinking (that doesnt give her a stereotype.. YOU give her that stereotype..) and I was like "so what kind of person is she, mom?"
"well... the kind that works at a bar"
And that was an irritating response.
So I came back with something like "that doesnt make her a bad person. And I understand why someone would want to work at a bar."
so at this point i can feel her annoyance with me. "I'm not saying i would do it or anything.. but people make a lot of money being bartenders.. it makes sense."
So we went back and forth for a few minutes and she ended with "You are becoming a complete liberal!"

What?! What the heck do politics have anything to do with this? I wouldnt consider myself on either end of that spectrum at this point, and me saying that i dont disagree with someone's reasoning to work at a bar definitly doesnt make me a liberal.
Her defining of people and intolerance is so irritating!!

She's definitly worried about me. It's sort of humorous in a way because as I'm becoming more open minded and accepting of people, she sees that as me being pulled into the world or something and I'm about ready to fall off the edge. Maybe me arguing with her so much and playing devil's advocate isn't helping that any.

I love my mom, but sometimes I realize how bad I need to get away from here for a bit.

3 comments:

alycepaige said...

Hey.. i worked in a bar...does that make me a bad person? i thought she liked me all this time and really she was thinking "that poor Chrissi, she works in a bar."

SarahBethWhite said...

i dont think she ever knew that..
so you're safe :)

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha...

so much to say yet i don't know how to get it into words...