Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Quality time with Grandpa

So today I went to lunch at Twin Dragon with my grandpa, "Pa" as he is called in "grandkid" terms. It was good- I havent really spent a whole lot of time just talking to him. We talked alot about the bible and things going on in Isreal today. And I asked him what he thought about my possibly going to Isreal in February. He said he thinks it's still really dangerous over there but it would be such a wicked awesome experience. (He didnt actually say "wicked awesome" in our conversation...but I thought it would add more emphasis to my excitement.) He is a very wise man and is interesting to have conversations with. Especially about the bible considering he has been a pastor for like over 40 years. God has blessed me with such awesome grandparents.

It's hard for me sometimes to understand that some things in the bible actually happened. I mean i totally do believe it happened becuase it's obviously in the bible, but it's like the whole world is so set on the "I have to see it to believe it" kinda stuff. And sometimes I get sucked in. For example, the fact that Jonah actually lived inside a whale for days. That's hard to believe, ya know? And I immediatly think about how he could have lived through the whale's whole digestion process but I stop my thinking in the middle--I need to stop thinking so techniqually and moreso with faith. I mean of course it happened...GOD made it happen and he can do all things. But sometimes it makes me think: if I don't have the faith that things in the bible happened, how will I have the faith that he will guide me in my own life? I know "If you even have faith the size of a small mustard seed you can do miraculous things" (my own paraphrase from Luke 17:6). But at times I don't even feel that I have faith as small as that. I'm so horrible because I'm always trying to encourage people that God will get them through things and that he will direct them where they need to go- but I don't even listen to myself and apply what I say to my own life- isn't that considered hypacritical? I do believe that God is going to guide me the next few months to where I'm supposed to be (college and whatnot..) but sometimes I feel like I'm never gonnna get those answers. But I have to tell myself during those times the same things I tell other people: God is going to give you the answers that you need...

I love Psalm 91 (below are vs. 1, 2, 5, 11, 12, 14-16 from the Living Bible):
"We live within the shadow of the Almighty, sheltered by the God who is above all gods. This I declare, that he alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him... You don't need to be afraid of the dark any more, nor fear the dangers of the day... He orders his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will steady you with their hands to keep you from stumbling against the rocks on the trail... For the Lord says, "Because he loves me, I will rescue him; I will make him great because he trusts in my name. WHen he calls on me I wil answer; I will be with him in trouble, and rescue him and honor him. I will satisfy him with a full life and give him my salvation."

Sorry that was long. I would, however, recommend reading all of ps. 91. It's really great. Thanks for reading so much- it's my longest blog so far! I love you guys.

1 comment:

alycepaige said...

i read something recently that was talking about the whole jonah and the whale story. of course i dont remember the details, but they had figured out which whale could swallow a whole person and would spit it back upu because of the size of digestion in a three day period. it does take faith too, but alot of the stories make alot of scene to science too.
as for college and decisions, you are right, He will tell you, but you also have to be willing to LISTEN!!
did you "pa" by chance say that he would help FUND your trip to Isreal with the BOND GIRLS!!?
love you